Nail polish remover, candle ignited Castle Point apartment


Firefighters were called to the scene of a fire at Castle Point Apartments in Clay Township Wednesday afternoon.

Around 4 p.m., crews reported the fire coming from a window of a 2nd floor apartment at 2415 Coachman's Trail.

That's towards the back end of the complex in the northeast corner.

Castle Point is just off Cleveland Road west of N. Ironwood Rd.

Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control and confined it to the one apartment. However, there was some light smoke and water damage to some of the adjacent units.

The fire is believed to have started when an open container of nail polish remover was set too close to a candle and ignited the fumes.

The Clay Fire Territory recommends the use of flameless candles whenever possible and always keeping well away from ignition sources.

Everyone was able to get out safely.

People affected by the fire have been given temporary housing.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off