3 dogs sickened, another dies after eating canned dog food
WASHOUGAL, Wash. (KATU) - A Washougal woman claims three of her dogs got sick and another died after eating canned dog food last weekend.
Nikki Mael of Washougal says she fed her four dogs Evanger's Hunk of Beef with au jus wet food on New Year's Eve. Within about 15 minutes, Mael said all four dogs began acting very strangely and rushed all of them to an animal hospital.
"They were falling over. So I grabbed them all and took them to the emergency vet. And when they got there, they were just limp. They weren't moving or anything. And so they were in ICU. Tito and Talula ate the most [food] and Talula passed away," Mael said.
The others have come home with Mael.
"Tito, we got to bring him home today," Mael said. "He still suffers from seizures. I don't know if there's any long-term [effect] on the other two, but it's terrible."
Evanger's has told KATU News they're launching an investigation into the incident. They also donated the full fundraising goal on Mael's page with the message:
"We at Evanger's are deeply horrified about this. We take the safety and quality of our products as top priority. We need to investigate and act upon this issue immediately and would require the LOT code found on the bottom of the can. Please email or get in contact with us. We also feed our own dog, Lilly, this food."
No recall has been issued, but a local Evanger's representative said the company is making arrangements to get the remaining unopened cans in the same case from Mael to have them tested.
The company says it appears the can of dog food was produced in June, and purchased through an online retailer.
The company's local representative also says it's instructed local stores that carry their product to take back any product from customers who have concerns, no questions asked.
A necropsy for is under way for Talula.