Board to vote on controversial 2018 South Bend schools proposal
SOUTH BEND —
Monday is poised to be a pivotal day in determining the future of the South Bend Community School Corporation.
Monday the school board is set to vote on the Focus 2018 plan which would make dramatic changes to how the school system operates in the future.
The plan would close or merge five schools, redraw school boundary maps, move fifth graders back to elementary school and convert Clay Intermediate Center into a K through eighth grade International Baccalaureate magnet school.
The plan was just unveiled last month and some critics say that's not enough time to study such sweeping changes before the board takes a vote.
“My only real concern is if class sizes grow. I like the class sizes smaller that way they are more focused and easier to control for teacher as well,” said Colleen Renteria, whose daughter attends a South Bend school.
“I like it that they are going to change it to K-5 again,” said David McCray whose kids attend a South Bend school.
WSBT 22's Jessi Schultz has been covering this story for us from the start. She'll be at the meeting Monday night as the board casts its vote.