MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Family displaced after fire breaks out inside apartment complex

Officials are investigating after a fire breaks out inside of an apartment complex in Kalamazoo (WWMT/Jake Berent).

UPDATE at 9 p.m. | A homeowner at the apartment complex where a fire caused an early morning wake-up call said the blaze started after she was frying fish on the stove that got out of hand, according to KDPS.

The homeowner left the pan unattended while she went upstairs in the apartment only to return to find the kitchen enveloped in smoke and the kitchen completely on fire. She was able to escape from the apartment and alert authorities, where it took nearly two hours to extinguish the fire.

Although the apartment that held the fire suffered from substantial damage, adjoining apartments were unscathed. There were no injuries in the fire.

-----------------------

Right now, officials are trying to figure out how a fire broke out inside of a Kalamazoo apartment complex.

It happened at the New Village Park Apartments on Inverness Lane, just north of Ascension Borgess Hospital, off of Gull Road around 6:30 a.m. Saturday morning.

Crews on scene tell Newschannel 3 that one family living in the apartment will be temporarily displaced.

Three other families will be allowed to go back into their apartments once firefighters are finished with their investigation.

At this point, it's unclear what started this fire.


close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending